Dear Community of YAAANA and Yiddishland California,
As the sun sets, solemnity fills the air, and we stand on the threshold of Yom Kippur, preparing for fasting, prayer, and reflection. Here at Yiddishland California, we would like to provide you with an update on our plans for 5784. As you know, our cultural center prides itself on creating a warm and welcoming environment in beautiful La Jolla, brought to life by the Yiddish Arts and Academics Association of North America (YAAANA), a registered nonprofit organization whose mission is celebrating the richness and delight of Yiddishkeit.
But as Yiddish has been officially recognized as an endangered language by UNESCO, so our cultural center is also endangered. Many nonprofit organizations, including ours, are suffering in the current economic climate. We have seen several local art galleries closing their doors. Rising expenses and declining charitable donations are impacting us, as well. If our revenues, including charitable donations, continue to shrink, then we may need to relocate, most likely abroad.
But here is where you come in! Even a small contribution can make a world of difference for Yiddishland California, providing the essential support needed to nurture and expand our local and global initiatives. Thanks to generous individuals in our community, we have already raised $6,000 toward our $21,000 target. However, to sustain our center and programming into 2024, Yiddishland needs to secure an additional $15,000. We fear that, we have only a few weeks left before we may have to vacate our beautiful 1128 Wall St. storefront in La Jolla.
At Yiddishland California, we have a wonderful array of events and offerings including concerts, language and art classes, lectures, and exhibits. Our cultural center in La Jolla is open to all. And there is more! YAAANA is currently hard at work digitizing our physical collection, scanning the paintings from our gallery, and making them accessible to people worldwide. This digital art gallery will also provide insightful information about the talented artists behind each piece. It’s an ambitious project, but we are dedicated to making it happen, and your support is a crucial part of our journey.
Join us at Yiddishland California as we celebrate Yiddishkeit, preserve Yiddish culture, and spread the joy far and wide. Your contribution, big or small, will make a real impact on our mission. Together, we can keep Yiddish vibrant and thriving for generations to come!
We hope you can join us on our journey!
- Link us to your network – if you are connected to someone who may be able to assist, let us know!
- Become a part of the Board of Directors of Yiddishland California.
- Add our artwork, books, and Yiddishland souvenirs to your collection.
- Include us in your estate planning.
- Assist us in keeping our doors open by volunteering your time and skills. We are severely understaffed at the moment.
- Become a qualified intern or refer qualified interns for both remote and in-person teamwork.
- We will be contacting the city officials and the press to help prevent the closure of our La Jolla cultural center. Join in our efforts to spread the word if you can.
- Forward this newsletter to those who might have an interest in it.
- And most importantly, extend aid through tax-deductible tzedakah accepted in the following ways:
We look forward to continuing Yiddishizing the public to ensure no end to Yiddishland! Let’s take into consideration the significance and importance of Yiddish language and culture in our individual lives and roots, as well as the important role cultural organizations like Yiddishland California play in preserving and keeping this tradition alive across different generations. Let all of you be inscribed in the Book of Life. G’Mar Chatimah Tovah!
The Yiddishland mishpokhe
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out to us.
Zayt gezunt un shtark,
The teams of YAAANA and Yiddishland CA